Saturday, June 20, 2009

Fan Favourite Alonso Admits he's Happy at Liverpool


Xabi Alonso has admitted that he is happy at Liverpool, but added that no-one knows what could happen in the future.

The Spanish star has been linked with a move away from Anfield this summer, with Real Madrid believed to be chasing his signature.

However, in an interview with El Pais, Alonso explained that with Sami Hyypia already gone, he is one of the senior players at Liverpool.

"I am happy at Liverpool but in football you cannot close the doors on anything because you don't know what will happen. I do not plan to go. With Hyypia already gone, I am one of the senior players alongside [Jamie] Carragher and [Steven] Gerrard," he mused.

"[Four or five years ago] There was strong interest in me from Madrid, but Liverpool came and that is where I went. It was not a wrong decision, not for me anyway. I have played at Liverpool, a special club, grown as a player and won titles."

With regards to his relationship with manager Rafael Benitez, Alonso denied claims that he has a problem with the Liverpool boss.

"Each one has his own point of view. He is the manager and I try to do the best with what he tells me. We have a good professional relationship. We speak normally, saying what he wants from me and what I can give. He makes the decisions and we try to execute them," he mused.

Despite his remarks about his Liverpool future, however, Alonso did acknowledge that, at times, he has questioned his path.

"Last summer there was certain indecision and I did not know what was going to happen. I finished up playing well, though. I have had two quite complete seasons," he concluded.

No comments :

Post a Comment